Cháo vịt, or duck congee, is a comforting and satisfying dish that is perfect for colder weather. Here is a simple recipe for making delicious cháo vịt at home:
- 1 cup rice
- 8 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 duck breast, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped scallions and cilantro for garnish
- Rinse the rice and drain well. In a large pot, add the rice and water or chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 45-50 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and the mixture has thickened into a porridge-like consistency.
- In a separate pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the minced ginger and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the sliced duck breast to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the duck is cooked through.
- Add the cooked duck and its juices to the pot of rice porridge. Stir to combine.
- Add the fish sauce, salt, and pepper to taste. Let simmer for another 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- To serve, ladle the cháo vịt into bowls and garnish with chopped scallions and cilantro.
Enjoy your delicious cháo vịt!